Translate

Thursday 3 May 2012

Ever get the feeling you're not on your own?

It doesn't seem so long ago that many people (certainly in Worcester) seemed to know very little about what was going on in Odessa.  It felt like the need for help for needy children in that situation was so big, yet only a few dodgy looking blokes (who owned a couple of power tools, balanced pencils on their ears, and drunk copious mugs of tea) where thinking about what to do next about this seemingly helpless situation. I hope they don't mind me saying that if I was setting up a big international operation I probably wouldn't have chosen these guys, or even myself. However this feeling of helplessness is nothing compared to that of children who awake every day to the knowledge that they have no one there to fend for them, and no-one to help them get out of the squalor and hopelessness they call "home".

In 3 weeks, we'll be making our second trip out there to work with grace church on building the transition house. The feeling of anticipation is greater than when I was a kid on Christmas eve (awaiting the Beano annual). The excitement comes from knowing that this project is utterly unique, and fueled by a conviction, that even the child / person in most difficult circumstances is not on their own.  


The truth is that this Christian project has grown from the most humble of beginnings because it has trusted that God knows, he's there and will help his people do something about it. There's a bit in the bible that says this...

So do not fear, for I am with you;
   do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
   I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
(Isaiah 41:10)

Yesterday a group of 10 blokes, inspired by the project gave me a cheque for £800, from churches in Worcester who want to help. In the last few days, people have anonymously paid into the account gifts that will all go to buy materials for transition house in 3 weeks time. As I walked into church last week, a lady I've never met me before put a warm £10 into my hand "for that home". It seems like people I don't know, want to give  (even when they themselves don't seem to have a lot). You'd almost think someone is watching over this project in a very special way.

12 of us will jump on a plane in a few days time, but we're not alone. We're humbled first that people have done all they can to be with us in supporting this financially; the sponsored washing of cars, making cakes, flying kites, riding bikes and being silent (which for schoolchildren is no easy thing) and many, many other things, people have raised money, all of which  goes on buying building materials. The 12 men themselves have purchased their own tickets and in some cases taken unpaid leave from busy lives and family responsibilities. I want to say thank you to you all, it's very, very humbling.

But I have to be honest and say the most humbling part of all, is the sense of privilege in being involved in such a great project, and the knowledge that in a very real sense we are constantly reminded that God is with us and helping us. We are all very, very, ordinary blokes, but God seems to make a special thing of ordinary people who call out to him for help. There's a modern carol that reminds us that actually this was the whole point of Jesus coming, to be "with us" (Immanuel). The fact that he came to a messed up forgotten place, just outside the Bethlehem ring road, makes the point pretty clearly - he knows about the forgotten messed up place and person.

From the squalor of a borrowed stable,
By the spirit and a virgin's faith;
To the anguish and the shame of scandal
Came the Saviour of the human race!
But the skies were filled, with the praise of heav'n,
Shepherds listen as the angels tell
Of the Gift of God, come down to man
At the dawning of Immanuel

King of heaven now the Friend of sinners,
Humble servant in the Father's hands,
Filled with power and the Holy Spirit,
Filled with mercy for the broken man
Yes he walked my road, and He felt my pain,
Joys and sorrows that I know so well;
Yet His righteous steps, give me hope again -
I will follow my Immanuel!

THANK YOU GUYS who are coming over to Odessa with me, for being such a great team, I'm so proud that I'm on your team. Being there in person is priceless.
Thank you lovely, lovely people for doing what you have at school, home and church to show love to children in a far more difficult place. But I have to save my biggest thank you to God, thank you that you are with us, we don't deserve it, but we are grateful and want to show it.

Paul